Active Time: 45 MINTotal Time4 HR 30 MIN
Yield: Serves : 4 to 6
Food & Wine‘s Kay Chun marinates raw eggplant in a bright, vinegary mix of lemon, garlic and basil. She peels and scores the eggplant slices on both sides for extra absorbency.Slideshow: More Summer Salads
- 1 pound small or medium Italian eggplants, peeled and sliced 1/2 inch thick, slices scored on both sides at 1/4-inch intervals
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 basil sprigs, plus basil leaves for garnish
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 pounds heirloom tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 8 ounces buffalo mozzarella, coarsely torn or chopped
How to Make It
In a colander set over a large bowl, toss the eggplant slices with 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt. Let stand at room temperature for 1 hour, tossing occasionally.
Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk the olive oil with the vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, basil sprigs, oregano and crushed red pepper; season lightly with salt and black pepper.
Squeeze all of the water from the eggplants and pat dry. Chop into bite-size pieces. Add to the marinade and let stand for 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
Add the tomatoes to the eggplant mixture and toss to coat; discard the basil sprigs and garlic. Transfer to a serving platter and top with the mozzarella and basil leaves.
Source: Read Full Article