- 3 cups okra; chopped (cut off the bulb and tail ends)
- 3 tablespoons Coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon urad dal
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp asafoetida/hing
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder/haldi
- 5 Dry red chillies (stalks cut off)
- as needed Salt
- 3 tablespoons Buttermilk (optional)
- 2 tablespoons tamarind+water extract (alternative to buttermilk)
- 1 sprig Curry leaves (optional)
In a wok, heat coconut oil. Add mustard seeds. When they pop, add red chillies, asafoetida and urad dal. Sauté till it turns a darker shade of golden. If adding curry leaves; add them in now.
Now reduce the heat to avoid a splatter. Add in the okra and mix it well with the oil. Sauté on low for 2 minutes. Now, add haldi. Mix and sauté for 5 minutes.
Sprinkle in either buttermilk or tamarind water to reduce the gooeyness of okra. Keep the okra covered and toss around every 3 minutes. When the okra shrinks a little and changes color; turn off the heat and let it sink in the heat from the wok. Mix salt finally after the heat is turned off (to ensure that you don’t over-salt before it shrinks).
Congratulations! You have an awesome okra!!
Tip: if the okra starts to burn; you can sprinkle in water and toss around.
Source: Read Full Article