Light and Tender Chinese Lotus Seed Buns Recipe
- For the Lotus-Seed Paste Filling:
- 11 ounces dried lotus seeds (see note)
- 1/4 cup neutral oil, such as vegetable or canola oil
- 1/2-3/4 cups sugar
- For the Buns:
- 1 1/4 cups low-protein flour, such as cake or pastry flour, or 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour mixed with 2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon glutinous rice flour (see note)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- Yellow or pink food coloring (optional)
For the Lotus-Seed Paste Filling: Rinse lotus seeds and soak in a large bowl of water until softened, at least 4 hours or overnight.
Tear each seed in half and remove the small bitter sprout (technically the cotyledon) in the center.
Place lotus seeds in a large pot and add enough water to completely cover. Bring to a boil over high heat, then lower heat and simmer, adding more water if necessary to keep seeds covered, until tender, about 1 hour.
4.Reserve 1 cup of lotus-seed cooking
Source: Read Full Article