Low-carb casserole can be made vegetarian by substituting beef for mushrooms, or more eggplant.
- 1 large eggplant aubergine
- As needed salt
- As needed water to rinse eggplant
- Meat sauce
- 2 pound ground sirloin/beef
- 1 large onion
- 2 tablespoons parsley flakes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1-1/2 cup roasted sweet peppers
- 16 ounces diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- To taste ground black peppe
- 1/2 teaspoon marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon savory
- 16 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic powder
- 1 rib/stalk celery sliced thinly
- 2 cups shredded gouda cheese
- 1 cup chopped black ripened olives
- 2 cup shredded Monterey jack and cheddar cheese
Peel and slice the eggplant into thin slices. Salt each slice on both sides. Let sit for 30 minutes then rinse.
Wash all the vegetables. Preheat oven to 400°Fahrenheit chop the celery, leaves and all. Slice the peppers and onions.
Heat pot and brown the beef with the onions, peppers, tomatoes, celery, add spices and simmer 10 minutes.
Add tomato sauce and tomato paste, adjust the salt and pepper if more is needed.
Heat a skillet and lightly brown the eggplant.
In a 10 inch oven safe pan add a thin layer of meat sauce. Cover with part of the eggplant slices. Then add the colby Monterey jack cheese.
Chop and slice the olives. Add olives over most of the top.
More meat sauce. Eggplant. Then aged Italian blend
Meat sauce and shredded gouda cheese. Put into the oven for 35-40 minutes.
Let rest 15 minutes serve I hope you enjoy!
Source: Read Full Article