Serves:4 – 6
1 medium to large free range chicken
Glug of oil
Generous sprinkle of sea salt flakes
Bundle of thyme
Bunch of carrots, peeled
PICKLED RED CABBAGE
1 red cabbage, finely shredded – a mandolin is ideal
½ bottle of red wine
½ pint red wine vinegar
Generous sprinkle of sea salt flakes and several turns of freshly ground black pepper
3 star anise
1 cinnamon stick
1 tsp all spice berries, ground
2 tbsp dark brown sugar
SAGE WILD RICE
350g wild rice
2 pints chicken stock
Small bunch of sage leaves, removed from stalks
Glug of rapeseed oil
5 figs, quartered
1 bunch of greens, roughly torn or cut
2 large knobs of butter
Generous sprinkle of sea salt flakes and black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 190°C. Drizzle the chicken with oil then season with salt and place the bundle of thyme inside the chicken. Place the carrots around the chicken then roast for around 45 minutes to an hour depending on the size of the chicken. Pierce the thigh and ensure the juice runs clear to test it’s cooked through. Allow to rest for at least 10 minutes prior to serving.
2. For the red cabbage combine all ingredients and place in a casserole dish, cover and bake for 20 minutes then give it a stir and place it back in the oven for another 20 minutes. Stir again and repeat until ready to serve.
3. Rinse the rice then cook as per instructions swapping out the water for chicken stock. Shallow fry the sage leaves until crisp ensuring the oil is hot prior to adding the leaves. They should crisp up in 30 seconds or so.
4. Prepare figs ready to mix through the rice before serving.
5. For the green simply melt butter in large frying pan add seasoning followed by the greens and allow to cook for a few minutes or until wilted.
6. Once the rice is cooked, stir through the pickled red cabbage, figs and finally sprinkle over the crispy sage leaves. Either serve the chicken whole or remove the breasts and carve into slices with a large serving dish of buttered greens on the side.
Source: Read Full Article