"Eggplant slices are coated with bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese and baked between layers of tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese for a filling Italian-inspired meal. Add fresh garlic and basil to taste. I use 2 to 4 cloves fresh garlic and 5 to 10 leaves of freshly harvested basil in the sauce. Fresh basil layered in one of the layers adds lots of ‘fresh’ flavor!"
- Place eggplant slices in a colander; sprinkle both sides of each slice with salt. Allow to sit for at least 3 hours. Wipe excess moisture from eggplant slices with paper towels.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a baking sheet.
- Mix bread crumbs and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese together in a bowl.
- Dip eggplant slices in beaten egg; coat with bread crumb mixture. Arrange coated eggplant slices in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven until lightly browned and crisp, about 5 minutes per side.
- Cover the bottom of a 9×13-inch casserole dish with a layer of spaghetti sauce; top with a layer of eggplant slices. Sprinkle with about 1 tablespoon of the remaining Parmesan cheese and 1/3 the mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers with remaining ingredients, ending with a cheese layer. Sprinkle with basil.
- Bake in the preheated oven until cheese is bubbling and golden brown, about 35 minutes.
- Editor’s Note:
- The nutrition data for this recipe includes the full amount of salt and breading used on the eggplant. The actual amount of salt and breading consumed will vary.
- Partner Tip
- Reynolds® Aluminum foil can be used to keep food moist, cook it evenly, and make clean-up easier.
Per Serving: 474 calories;20.4 g fat;43.9 g carbohydrates;29.6 g protein;119 mg cholesterol;2428 mg sodium.Full nutrition
Source: Read Full Article