"Impress your friends with this Hummingbird Cake–a recipe that has been passed down through many generations. If desired, crush additional nuts and press them into the sides of the frosting, and put sliced maraschino cherries on top of the cake to gild the lily."
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour two 9-inch cake pans.
- Sift together the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the oil, eggs, pineapple, bananas and nuts. Add flour mixture, and mix together by hand.
- Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake in preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in center of each pan comes out clean, about 1 hour. Remove from oven and allow to cool on racks.
- Prepare the frosting by blending together the cream cheese, butter, sugar and vanilla until smooth. Evenly spread frosting on middle, sides and top of cake.
Per Serving: 719 calories;40 g fat;86.4 g carbohydrates;7.4 g protein;70 mg cholesterol;342 mg sodium.Full nutrition
Source: Read Full Article