"This apple pie has Cheddar cheese baked right inside! Cheddar lines the bottom of the crust and perfectly harmonizes with the apples. Just like you’d find flatbread with goat cheese and honey, the cheese baked right in with the apples provides a buttery and melty texture."
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- Line the bottom of the pie crust with Cheddar cheese slices. Place apples into the crust in a circular fashion, layering slices on top of one another. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and mix well to combine, removing any lumps. Add white sugar, brown sugar, and 1/4 cup water. Bring to a slight simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Pour butter mixture over apples to cover all slices. Top with additional pie crust; seal edges. Pierce the top with a fork to allow steam to release. Mix egg white and 1 teaspoon water together in a small bowl; baste over pie crust using a basting brush.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Continue to bake until golden and set, about 35 minutes more.
- Cook’s Note:
- You can use any variety or a mixture of different apples in this recipe.
Per Serving: 348 calories;20.9 g fat;36 g carbohydrates;5.7 g protein;35 mg cholesterol;296 mg sodium.Full nutrition
Source: Read Full Article